Ruta del Carrilet / Via verda del Baix Ebre (CAT)
The 57-km La Ruta del Carrilet is located on the former narrow-gauge railway line established in the 19th century which links the Catalan cities of Olot and Girona as part of a wider railway network operating in the Girona region. Initially driven by the private iniciative of the industrial bourgeoisie, the network became a vital component to the economic development of the region helping to increase the circulation of goods and improve access to the port zones, leading to increased industrialisation and communication between towns.
The greenway of Baix Ebre runs along a former railway line that connected Aragon to the Mediterranean sea. In 1942 the section linking the town of Puebla de Hijar with Tortosa was opened and operated for 31 years before being finally closed in 1973 without ever having reached the sea.
Picture of Ruta del Carrilet: Consorci Vies Verdes de Girona
Picture of Tortosa’s Bridge: Xevi Bayona